Sunday, April 3, 2011

Steve's 34th Birthday!

I know it's been a month ago, but better late than never.
Let me take you two days before Steve's birthday...

Me: So, Steve, your birthday is coming up soon.  What would you like to do that day?
Steve: Nothing.  Just let it be a normal day.
Me (a titch irritated): No way!  You only get one birthday a year and we all want to celebrate you.  Do you want me to make you a special meal or do you want to go out to eat?
Steve (a titch irritated): O...k...  I guess... go out.
Me: Alright, I could make a special dessert for you.  What do you want?
Steve (after a little thought): Brownies with chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and caramel.
Me: Wow.  Okay, your wish is my command.  What about birthday gifts?
Steve: I don't know.  (Pause.)  How about install a new jack for the modem in the living room so we can bring the computer out.
Me: Do YOU really want to be doing that on your birthday?
Steve: (no response)

Two days later... Steve's birthday arrives!
The kids and I pick him up from work ready to go out to eat.  Granted, there are very few options for eating out where we live, but you know where he chose?  McDonalds Drive-Thru, of all places.   All I have to say is, after 7 and a half years of marriage, I was totally expecting that, and no, I'm not offended that he chose McD's over my cooking; however had this been 7 years ago, I probably would have been.
Silly girls eating their happy meals.
 Next, Steve's birthday gifts...
Through some miracle, the phone company was able to swing their guy over to install this lovely jack, so the modem and computer can now be out in the living room, and Steve didn't have to do it.  It was a good thing too, Steve admits, because we would have had to end up calling the phone guy to come out anyway because Steve had no clue what to do once he got down in the crawlspace.

I also bought him some soft earphones for his Ipod.  Their called "marshmallows."
Amara helped pick out the earphones for Steve's birthday gift.
Doesn't he look happy with his pan of brownies?
And last, but not least, we ate the mega-brownies he requested.  Steve was really surprised and excited to see that I was able to move the computer out into the living room (thanks for your help, mom) AND, that it was all hooked up to the internet and running smoothly.  He had a happy 34th birthday.

No comments: