Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Dear Valentine

image

I doubt many husbands started Valentines Day the way mine did. Close to 2 in the morning my dysautonomia and heart arrhythmia decided to rudely disturb my slumber. Basically I woke up gasping for air and anytime I would try to fall asleep I would end up not being able to breathe again. That sent my heart arrhythmia and POTS (that's postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome for those of you that don't know) into crazy mode. The last time this happened was about a year ago and I ended up in the ER wondering if I was having a heart attack only to be sent home wearing a heart monitor and have it return back with the reading of a normal healthy person. Come to find out from my cardiologist, what I went through was not life threatening and he told me if it were to happen again to just get up and walk around for 10 minutes and it will go away. If it doesn't, then call his office. So, remembering his advice on this very early morning, I got out of bed and tried to walk around the house only to start feeling quite nauseous, dizzy, weak, and faint, so I woke up my husband using what little breath I had and I asked him if he could help walk me around. Without hesitation, without complaint, without looking at the time, he got out of bed, more like stumbled out of bed, put his arm around me and began to walk me around the house. My heart raced on like it was going to win a marathon, I was so tired, and felt like I might throw up, but with the support of my husband walking by my side, step by repetitive step, just having his strength near calmed my nerves and my heart went back to normal. I sat down and Steve sat down too. He then gave me a gift that not all husbands can give to their wives. He gave me a priesthood blessing. Therein lies an account of true love.

We were both very tired and went back to bed eventually. I knew when the sun rose I would be able to take it easy and sleep in if I needed to, or take a nap later, but my dear husband had to get up early and go to work.   And still not a word of sleep deprivation complaint. Bless him!

We both went about our days and when he returned home, we got to go to our ward's Valentine's Day couples dinner that I had been looking forward to for weeks. God blessed me to feel well enough to attend with my husband. We had a wonderful night with friends from our ward.  I truly have the most wonderful eternal Valentine!

The photos in this post are from the Valentine's Day dinner at our church.

image

image

1 comment:

Amanda Lauret said...

Oh goodness! That is so scary! I am sorry for all the health struggles you have been going through. Yay for amazing husbands! Steve is a winner. I am glad he was there for you. :)